Senator Kagan is always looking for talented interns! While the legislative session occurs during the Spring Semester, significant preparation happens in the Fall. You would play a role in legislative research, meetings with strategic partners, and communication with constituents. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis.
We are interviewing for Legislative Interns. The internship provides college/university students and professionals the opportunity to provide research and staff assistance. In addition to practical work experience, college students who qualify may earn academic credits from their school.
The Senator is seeking interns who:
- Have superior writing skills;
- Have excellent attention to detail;
- Possess technology skills (Excel, Word, Google Docs, database management, data entry);
- Have the ability to work independently – and as a member of a team;
- Can dress appropriately for an office environment;
- Have the ability to work in Annapolis or legislative District 17;
- Are multilingual (not a requirement but a preferred skill);
- Have the ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise professional judgment; and
- Have a passion for making a difference.
Many interns are political science majors; however, students working toward degrees in other areas, or professionals who are interested in learning firsthand about the process of State government, are encouraged to apply.
Academic credits are granted to interns by their colleges and universities. Additional academic work may be required by sponsoring professors.
The type of work assigned to interns is legislative, administrative and clerical in nature. Responsibilities may include: conducting research; accompanying the Senator in the District; drafting correspondence; preparing, recording, and reporting testimony; contacting witnesses; attending committee hearings and briefings; and responding to constituent inquiries.
Interns should have their own transportation to and from Annapolis. Free parking is provided at Navy Stadium. You may be asked to attend events with the Senator in Gaithersburg & Rockville as well.
To apply, please send a cover letter and your resume in one PDF to Cheryl.Kagan@senate.state.md.us with your full name as the title of the document.
If you would like to receive academic credit, please contact your college or university intern coordinator, career counselor, or department dean for special requirements. We will contact finalists by phone or email. Please be sure to proofread your letter and resume. Good luck!