As sworn public officials, notaries public serve an important role in the prevention of fraud and protection of the parties involved by acting as an official, unbiased witness for certain documents. Because of this important role, all notaries should understand the duties and responsibilities of notaries public and properly perform requested notarial acts.
Prior to performing an official act as a notary public, notaries should obtain a Notary Public Handbook which outlines the proper procedures for notarizing a document, and use the handbook as a reference. This handbook is available from our office. Please click here to download.
Applicants must visit the Maryland Secretary of State website to register and fill out the form.
- Legal Responsibilities and Duties of a Notary Public in Maryland
- New Notary Application Information
- Renewal Application Information for currently commissioned notaries public
- Change of Name and/or Address Form
- Search for a Notary
- Report a possible violation/infraction of a notary
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Notary Handbook